Queensland Urban Utilities’ water and sewerage services are provided to customers in Brisbane, Ipswich, Somerset, Lockyer Valley and Scenic Rim local government areas. As part of its sewerage services, Queensland Urban Utilities manages the discharge of trade waste to its sewerage networks.
Trade waste is ‘water-borne waste from business, trade or manufacturing premises, other than waste that is a prohibited substance, human waste or stormwater’.
The discharge options for producers of trade waste are:
- obtain authority under the Environmental Protection Act 1994 to treat the waste themselves before discharge to the environment, or
- to have it treated at an approved treatment facility, or
- seek approval from a distributor-retailer (such as Queensland Urban Utilities) to discharge to the sewerage system.
Queensland Urban Utilities provides the sewerage system primarily for transport and treatment of domestic sewage. Payment for this service is collected through sewerage charges on each sewered property. The sewerage system may also be used, with the approval of Queensland Urban Utilities, for trade waste.
Because trade waste imposes an additional load on the sewerage system, trade waste charges apply to recover costs and trade waste approvals are conditioned to ensure we protect:
- the receiving environment
- downstream recycling or reuse
- the materials used to construct the sewerage system
- the health and safety of people working on the sewerage system
- the treatment capabilities of the sewage treatment plants.
Under the Water Supply (Safety and Reliability) Act 2008, ‘a person must not discharge trade waste to a sewerage service provider’s infrastructure without the sewerage service provider’s approval.’
This means the owner of a premises that discharges trade waste to Queensland Urban Utilities’ sewerage system must apply for and hold a document (called a trade waste approval) approving the discharge.
To find out more about your trade waste responsibilities, please visit our other trade waste related pages.